What it’s used for:
What pain-point or problem does V-Ray for 3ds Max solve?
Interface with other V-Ray products
With the release of V-Ray 3.5 for 3ds Max, Chaos Group now offers 2 licensing options: Dongle Licensing and Online Licensing.
With online licensing there is no wait to receive a physical dongle, and licenses can be activated in real-time once an order is processed. Online licensing is fast and secure, and your customers will be able to access their new software much faster – without the back and forth of WBC and RTU files.
Please note that for now online licensing is available only for purchases of new licenses.
V-Ray 3.5 for 3ds Max is a free update for all V-Ray 3.0 customers. Login at chaosgroup.com to download.
Did you know?
V-Ray for 3ds Max allows for distributed rendering making it possible to render on multiple computers working in parallel. This makes rendering faster and more cost efficient. By purchasing a render node (instead of being obliged to purchase an entirely new floating license) the cost of rendering becomes 4x less expensive compared with a major competitor.
- The new Progressive Production Renderer is built on the same path tracing technology as V-Ray RT and it is a simple, intuitive solution for any scene. The Progressive Renderer is compatible with all V-Ray production features, including Irradiance, Light Cache, SSS, Render Elements, etc.
Faster Ray Tracing
- V-Ray 3.0 introduces a significantly optimized ray tracing core to speed up calculations for Brute Force GI, Progressive Path Tracing, Reflections, Refractions, and more. Depending on scene complexity, users are reporting speed increases up to 5X.
- Quick Settings provide artists with production-ready presets and simple rendering quality controls all within a single compact interface.
Advanced V-Ray Frame Buffer- Consistent color output is essential to artists’ workflows. V-Ray 3.0 has been expanded to utilize a variety of color definitions including LUTs (.cube), ICC Profiles (.icc), and OpenColorIO (.ocio). By default V-Ray 3.0 is set up for linear workflow, making it easier to ensure reliable, accurate colors.
- Render Mask uses an object selection, include/ exclude list, or texture map to control the exact pixels to be rendered.
- V-Ray 3.0 introduces faster hair rendering speeds (up to 15x) and view-dependent tessellation that automatically smoothes hair curves.
Ray Traced SSS
- Improved Subsurface Scattering is offered, including options for object-based and ray traced illumination.
Max Ray Intensity
- Max Ray Intensity clamps secondary rays to remove noise generated by very bright sources. This removes artifacts while retaining dynamic range.
- VRmats (formerly Vismats) are universal V-Ray Shaders for use across multiple applications. For example a VRmat material may be created in V-Ray for 3ds Max and transferred directly to V-Ray for Maya.
Please make sure that your system fulfills these requirements before installing V-Ray.
|Processor||Intel® 64-bit or compatible processor with SSE2 support|
|RAM||4 GB RAM and 4 GB swap minimum – recommended 8 GB or more RAM, 8 GB or more swap file|
|Operating system||Microsoft® Windows® 7 (SP1), Windows 8.1, or Windows 10 Professional operating system|
|3ds Max||3ds Max 2012/3ds Max Design 2012 or later, 64 bit versions only|
|USB port||Required for hardware lock, preferably USB 2.0|
|TCP/IP||Only IPv4 is supported. IPv6 is currently not supported.|
V-Ray 3.0 requires V-Ray License server 3.0!
The requirements above are for the latest version of V-Ray in Max, but please note that V-Ray 3.3 is available for Max 2011+